The two top US generals have claimed that they had recommended keeping 2,500 US troops in Afghanistan. This information was given in the report of BBC online on Wednesday.
General Mark Mille and Frank McKenzie made the claim at a hearing in the US Senate on Tuesday. However, their demands do not match those of President Joe Biden. Because, Biden says, he can’t think of any such advice.
Mark Mille is chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Frank McKenzie, on the other hand, is the head of US Central Command. It is this command that oversees the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
According to Mark Mille and Frank McKenzie, on the eve of the withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanistan last month, they advised President Biden to keep 2,500 troops in the country. They made the suggestion to strengthen the Afghan government.
Biden completed the withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanistan within his pre-announced time frame. With this, he ended the 20-year war of the United States in Afghanistan.
The fall of the Afghan capital, Kabul, took place on August 15 as US troops withdrew. With this, the power of Afghanistan passed into the hands of the Taliban. The United States withdrew troops from Afghanistan on August 30 after much negotiations with the Taliban.
Extreme chaos ensued as the United States rushed to evacuate civilians and military personnel from Afghanistan. Even last-minute IS bombings at Kabul airport killed at least 200 people, including 13 U.S. soldiers. In the midst of the turmoil, Biden was sharply criticized for humiliatingly withdrawing US troops from Afghanistan.
The two top generals of the United States faced various questions during the hearing of the Armed Services Committee of the US Senate. At the hearing, they were plagued with questions. Secretary of Defense Lioyd Austin also attended the Senate hearing.
At the hearing, General Mark Millie said he was surprised by the rapid decline of the US-backed Afghan government.